Make It: Minestrone Soup with Garbanzo Beans
Minestrone Soup with
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 T olive oil
- 4-6 cups defatted chicken broth
- 2 tsp. snipped fresh rosemary (or ½ tsp dried)
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup cubed and peeled butternut squash
- 1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 4 ounces small shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 T snipped fresh basil leaves (or 2 tsp. dried)
- ¼ cup shredded parmigiano-reggiano cheese
In a 4-quart Dutch-oven, sauté carrots, onion, garlic in
olive oil for 5 minutes, stirring
Add chicken broth, rosemary, crushed red pepper, bay leaf .
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add butternut squash, tomato, and garbanzo beans. Simmer
Stir in shrimp and basil, and cook until shrimp turn opaque.
Serve with a sprinkle of parmigiano-reggiano cheese.
From the February 2012 issue.
Order back issues